Woolhope S.M.B.C were presented with this year’s Achievement Award at the HSMBA Presentation Evening on Saturday 30th September, recognising their many successes and overall contribution to short mat bowls in Herefordshire over the past 20+ years.
Woolhope have been the dominant force of the sport in Herefordshire for just over 20 years, with their achievements including:
- 20 x Division 1 Titles (currently at 18 in a row, up until this current year)
- 3 x Division 2 Titles
- 3 x Summer League Titles
- 7 x County Singles Champions
- 6 x County Pairs Championships
- 5 x County Triples Championships
- 8 x County Fours Championships
- 10 x County Mixed Fours Championships
- 6 x LEH Championships
- 4 x Macmillan Championships
- 5 x Bromyard Triples Championships
- 65 nationals representative teams
- Countless County Team representatives including current County Premier Team Captain for 10 years
- 2 x England Ladies representatives
- 1 x England U21 representative
- 2 x England representatives
Over the last 20 years, Woolhope club, spearheaded by three generations of the Rogers family and 2 (nearly 3!) generations of the Cox family, among many others, have set the benchmark for short mat bowls in Herefordshire. To dominate a sport for that length of time is an incredible achievement; we are all better players for having Woolhope in our association and the association is better for having them. It is doubtful that any club will come close to matching both Woolhope’s achievements in and contribution to the sport in Herefordshire and beyond.
Congratulations to Woolhope and their membership past and present; we have no doubt that the above list will be added to many more times in the coming years!
Below: a few photos of Woolhope at Presentation Evenings through the years (going backwards in time)!